THIS BLOG NO LONGER CONTAINS PICTURES OR FULL POSTS

* * * * * *

Dear Readers,

Welcome to my public blog. I use this blog now only for my non-family related posts. All of our family posts, including pictures and videos of our little guy, can now be seen on our private blog. Our private blog can be found HERE.

If you like to use Google Reader or blog lists to see when a blog has been updated, just keep this blog on those lists. I will put a post up on this blog letting you know I have posted on our private blog so that you will still get the updates.

If you would like an invitation to our private blog please leave your email address in a comment on this blog - comments must be approved prior to posting so no one else will see your address. Please don't hesitate to ask for an invitation if you have enjoyed keeping up with us through this blog. Blog Stalkers, it is time to make yourselves known! :) Seriously though, please ask for an invite if you want one and if you think I might not know who you are just give me a little reminder of how I know you.

Happy Blogging! -Lara

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cahoon Reunion

Last weekend we had a reunion with my dad's family. My cousin Jann Cahoon, along with the expertise of my Uncle Harvey, has spent countless hours researching our family history. She put together a tour around the Salt Lake Valley that took us to the grave sites of many of our ancestors, some of the homes that they lived in, and also to historical sites of Interstate Brick, which is a company that has a special significance to our family.

We started out the reunion last Thursday with a tour to the current headquarters of Interstate Brick. This company was founded by my great-great-grandfather, John P. Cahoon, back in 1890 (originally called The Salt Lake Pressed Brick Company). My great-grandfather, grandfather, and uncle all served as president's of the company and my dad worked there before we moved to Seattle. Although the Cahoon family no longer has direct ties to Interstate Brick it still has a special place in our hearts. We were able to take a tour of the brick plant, which was very cool. I always love seeing how things are made.

Here I am after ripping a brick in half!!! It hadn't been fired yet so it was still clay :)

Me and my cousin Alissa standing in front of what Interstate Brick boasts to be the world's largest kiln. In the hottest part of the kiln it can reach temperatures of 2100 degrees Fahrenheit!!! Needless to say we were happy to go back outside into the 90 degree weather :)

Me and Jann in Grandpa Cahoon's old office.



Grandma relaxing in Grandpa's old office. It brought back a lot of memories for her. We sure miss Grandpa!


On Saturday we got together again for our tour of grave sites and homes.

Me, Jayson, and dad at the grave of Reynolds Cahoon, my great-great-great-great-grandpa. He was the first Cahoon to join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and he made the trek from Nauvoo to Utah.

Just across the way from Reynolds I found the grave of another one of my pioneer ancestors (from my mom's side of the family), it was kind of cool that they were so close to each other! Here I am in front of the grave of my great-great-great-great-grandma, Mary Fielding Smith.

Now back to the Cahoon Tour
Here is the home of John P. Cahoon (the founder of Interstate Brick). I put it in sepia tones for authenticity!


Across the street from John P.'s home is the home that he built for his mother Margaret Carruth Cahoon. It is now a little flower shop :)

We ended the day back at my Aunt Wendy's house where we had a BBQ dinner. My Aunt Marion also arranged for a Scottish Bagpiper to come and play for us since the Cahoon family is originally from Scotland. His last name is McFarland and apparently the McFarland and Cahoon Clans have been rivals for quite some time; so this was a historical occasion for the Cahoon's to be asking the McFarland's to come and play for them!

1 comment:

shawnajctenney.blogspot.com said...

I remember going to visit your dad at the brick factory and playing there. Good times! You have cool ancestors! My ancestors were probably friends with your ancestors. I'm related to Parley and Orson Pratt, but I've probably told you that a million times.