*Name that classic movie from the 90's
If you are at all aquainted with my feelings about mornings then you may want to sit down for this next announcement because it just may shock your socks off. Jayson and I have been getting up at 6:00 AM everyday this week to exercise!!!
I know those that have had the pleasure of being my roommate in the past are probably putting their socks back on right now and not quite sure if they read correctly, but it is true. After two months of failing miserably on our New Year's Resolution to get back into our daily exercise routine we decided that something had to change. We were trying to work out in the evenings but it always seemed that either something was going on or we were just so burnt out from working all day that we couldn't muster the will-power to go exercise. So we were getting one, maybe two days in a week. Jayson just about died when I told him that I wanted to start trying to exercise in the morning, he couldn't believe it either. The idea of losing out on sleeping in time didn't appeal much to either of us, but as we sat down and really thought it through the logic of it was indeniable. The morning is really the only time we can count on to be able to consistently exercise without something else coming up. So we have tried it and I have to admit I am actually really liking it. It is still really hard to get up, but I love feeling like my morning is a bit longer rather than just waking up and rushing to get ready and then heading off to work. I also love coming home after work and knowing that I don't have to feel guilty about not exercising, because I already did it!!!
This has also been a big part of my getting-more-excited-about-life campaign and I think it is starting to help. The other part of it is that I want to start reading again! I used to be an avid reader, but sadly have let that little enjoyment dwindle by the wayside as the pressures of graduate school and now work have built up. Now it is time to take back some "me" time and spend some time in a good book that is just for fun. I don't think I have read a book just for fun since the 7th Harry Potter book came out.
So what would be your suggestion of the first book I should read as I get back into the literary world?
May Overview
3 months ago

10 comments:
Cool Runnings is the Movie!
Wow, 6:00? Lara???!?!? I haven't been your official roommate, but I've slept over with you enough times to know that you really do not like mornings. I do not like mornings either. So maybe you getting up a little earlier to exercise will be a big inspiration for me to get up a little earlier and exercise.
Here are a couple books I have read (or should I say listened to in audiobook form while I painted) over the last year that I have absolutely LOVED! #1. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, she has written a bunch of other good books, but I'll just mention that one for now, and #2. A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama by Laura Amy Schlitz. There's some great ones for starters. I'll keep you updated on Goodreads.com.
good job waking up so early! i have a good friend of mine that i wake up with to go exercise at 5 AM with. we both have kids and it just works out best this way b/c both kids and dads are still sleeping and don't seem to miss us so much. about the book-i just finished breastfeeding sucks, but i don't think that will help you right now...
I second "The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale...and all her books are good so don't stop there. I also enjoyed "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. The series is pretty good, but the first one is the best. Also, have you read any stuff by Wilkie Collins? Claire got me into that. I love "Woman in White" and "The Moonstone."
Lara, you have struck upon something that I think is critical: getting up early and getting done what is most important. Exercising and scripture study for me are the best things I can do for myself each day, and morning is the ideal time for the reasons you indicate. In tandem with this, getting to bed early is just as important to be successful. I go to bed at 9 and 9:30 p.m. often so I can get up at 5 and 5:30 a.m. - my body needs 8 hours of rest. I am never tired during the day and feel very refreshed each morning. (These things fly in the face of what everyone else is doing, but it really is a healthier, happier lifestyle.) I wish you the best in your endeavors!
I have steered away from reading much fiction for many years, but recently read a novel that I enjoyed: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, an Anne Bronte novel I have known about but hadn't read until after seeing a an excellent BBC adaptation (see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115387/plotsummary). Toby Stephens is dreamy and Tara Fitzgerald is a formidable heroine. While not as strong of a book as the other Bronte sisters' novels, this is quite good. Remember, too, that Anne died at the age of 28. If you like British lit as I do, you will enjoy this novel.
Good luck and looking forward to spending time with you and Jayson roadtripping to CA!
Jann
"I'm a little concerned about that big baldy over there!"
Congrats on finding a time to exercise, I have yet to follow in your footsteps. We're still attempting the evening work-out routine.
As for books: all of Shannon Hale (you may want to start with Austenland since I know what a Jane Austen lover you are), you may as Well read Stephanie Meyer since she is all the rage right now. If you want a more serious, adult book, try the Kite Runner. Quite good.
Andrea here. You probably know what I'm going to say. The Redwall Series by Brian Jaques. Happy reading.
Life of Pi. Dan just finished it, I'm starting it. everyone on goodreads raves about it and lite runner, so i'm looking frwrd to it. Dan liked it a lot.
yipee for getting exercise! I always feel better when I exercise too. What an example to me by getting up early to do it!! ENJOY!!
I'm freezin' my royal rastafarian ninnies off! I'd suggest for you . .. Hope Was Here (you can read my review on my blog)
Good work getting up early!
Wow!!! Is this the same roommate that would sleep in till 1:00 pm and stay up till 2:00 am??? I can't believe it!!! :) Lately I've really gotten into the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. Ryan got them for me for Christmas and I loved them! I was a little skepitcal at first because they're about vampires but I really got hooked.
Post a Comment